Gallery: 2019 Northern California Hawaiian Steel Guitar Symposium
This gallery contains photos from the 2019 Northern California Hawaiian Steel Guitar Symposium held on August 24-25, 2019, at the Odd Fellows Hall in Cupertino.
Drag mouse over thumbnails and click to select picture or use controls for slideshow.
- The Starter Class comprised of both beginners and some with a little experience.
- The classes were full of students with a passion to learn the art of the steel guitar.
- The class worked on various techniques and musicianship.
- The students were very focused on their music.
- Members of the advanced class.
- Student Suzie Lee started at the 2019 Aloha Music Camp and wanted to increase her skills.
- Lillian Fujimoto is so set on playing the steel guitar.
- Cindy and Lono Archambault of Long Beach drove up to join the classes. Her grandfather Sam Nainoa was a fine steel guitarist and Joseph Kekuku’'s cousin.
- Tina Urata has a never fading smile.
- Rebecca Woo is a fanatic and lover of the steel guitar.
- Mark Segelman, Jeanne Skybrook and Nancy Alegrian with Alan Akaka.
- Douglas Wong was an intern in SenatorAkaka's congressional office in Washington, D.C.
- Jim Kabage with Alan Akaka.
- Steel guitarist Patti Maxine jammed with Alan Akaka at the symposium.
- The symposium also included a potluck and kanikapila which was enjoyed by many.
- Kanikapila tiime with Patti Maxine, Alan Akaka, and Bill Rhyne.
- Participants enjoyed a fantastic jam session.
- The kanikapila included many steel guitars, guitars, ʻukulele, basses, vocals, hula, and other surprises.
Back to Gallery
Photography courtesy of Alan Akaka. ©2019 by HIMELE.